Ads 468x60px

Thursday, August 14, 2008

An interview with Kevin Krohn!


I got the opportunity to interview Kevin Krohn, author of a new, thrilling novel, Severed Ties! Check out my review for Severed Ties here, and don't forget to enter my Birthday Contest if you're interested in trying to win a copy of Severed Ties, Volume I!




1) What inspired you to write Severed Ties?

My storyline was inspired by my love for Kung-Fu revenge flicks. I wanted to take the concept and put it in a current setting with normal, everyday people.

2) Who was your favorite character to write about in Severed Ties?

My favorite character has to be the one the story revolves around, Nyne Harper. Female assassins are so fascinating to me, and to have one going through things we all can relate to like a first date, arguing with parents, and college made it really fun to write.

3) If you had to be one of your characters from Severed Ties for a day, who would you want to be least?

Well, besides the people who don’t make it all the way through the story, I would have to say Jason. Without giving too much away, I’ll just say he has to deal with some physical pain that I wouldn’t be able to make it through.

4) What do you think are the most important elements that make a book suspenseful and capable of keeping readers on the edge of their seats throughout the entire book?

It’s hard to keep a book suspenseful because each reader has a different level of what they would deem “suspense”. What some people consider a tense moment others may seem as tame. But to keep a reader engaged the suspense has to have a purpose in the storyline. You can’t throw in a twist just for the sake of a twist; it has to add value to the overall arc.

I like to think the suspense in Severed Ties remains constant because I don’t bog the reader down with a bunch of unnecessary information. I take a pretty basic approach to keep the action moving. I may tell you the character is standing next to a tree, but I am not going to give a few paragraphs to talk about what type of tree it is or the history of said tree. Yes, there’s a tree there…let’s move on.

5) When will Volume II of Severed Ties hit bookstores? Can you give us a sneak peek or little synopsis of Volume II?

I am looking to have Severed Ties: Volume II out by the end of October. Volume II will start up right where Volume I left off. Nyne will be looking to set things right in her life, and we will be meeting a few new characters.


6) Do you have a favorite place to write?

As cliché as it might sound, I like to sit and write at Starbuck’s. The opportunity to people-watch while I am there has gotten me out of some writing ruts.

7) Do you like listening to music while you write?

I love listening to music, but just can’t do it while I write. I can’t concentrate and my mind starts to wander if I have music on. But I am sure music is playing while I write at Starbuck’s, right? I haven’t noticed…maybe I can do it!

8) What are your favorite genres to read?

My favorite genres are suspense and true crime. Sometimes the craziest stories of fiction pale in comparison to that of true crime.

9) Any favorite YA books?

Max: The Dog that Refused to Die. I read this when I was a child and it seemed so profound to me at the time. Don’t know if it would still have the same impact now, but I loved that book. Who can’t appreciate a dog named Max that refused to die? I mean, c’mon…the title says it all! Go read this book! (Right after you read Severed Ties).

10) Your favorite spy/suspenseful movie of all time?

The two movies that come to mind are The Usual Suspects and Memento. They kept me guessing the entire time. The movie that had the biggest influence on me writing Severed Ties would be a Korean film called Oldboy.

11) Any advice to aspiring authors?

My only advice for aspiring authors is to write. Just write it. There are probably a lot of people that would want me to change some of the choices I made as far as the Severed Ties storyline. There are probably even parts that could be rewritten and reworked, but why? I take the original thought and go with it.

12) And a random question to top it off (since the games of the 29th Olympiad are going on!): Do you watch the Olympics, and if yes, what is your favorite sport to watch?

My favorite Olympic sport to watch is basketball. I am a big NBA fan, so watching the stars compete against the world is exciting. I am actually surprised at how into the Olympics I have gotten this year, Last night I watched the gymnastics and swimming, which I would usually have no interest in, but it was great.

1 comment:

Axa said...

great interview. That book looks like a good read.

Post a Comment

Series I Like

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis Divergent by Veronica Roth Firelight by Sophie Jordon Halo by Alexandra Adornetto Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Thanks to i'm loving books!

Disclaimer

I receive review copies of books from publicists, authors and publishers for an honest review. I do not receive monetary or other compensations for posting reviews.