Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Interview with Alexandra Adornetto!

I recently got the opportunity to interview Alexandra Adornetto, the author of Halo, which hits book stores today! I really enjoyed reading Halo; my review is posted here!
ALEXANDRA ADORNETTO was fourteen when she published her first book,The Shadow Thief, in Australia. The daughter of two English teachers, she admits to being a compulsive book buyer who has run out of shelf space, and now stacks her reading “in wobbly piles on my bedroom floor.” Alex lives in Melbourne, Australia; Halo marks her U.S. debut.
---------------------------------

Where did you get your inspiration for Halo?

I get inspiration from all over the place. With Halo the idea was born some time ago when I was studying religion in high-school. There were only 5 kids in the class and everybody hated it, except me! I thought it was fascinating, especially the idea of the power of faith. So that, combined with my longstanding interest in the paranormal is what inspired Halo.


What was your favorite part to write about in Halo?

I enjoyed writing about Beth and Xavier’s relationship and letting it unfold. It was interesting to combine their deep connection with Gabriel’s disapproval and Molly’s jealousy. The best part was when they made the transition from occasional flirting and accidental touches to accepting their feelings for one another. I enjoyed the action scene in the graveyard as well!


If you could spend the day as any one of your characters, who would you like to be and why?

Bethany, so I could live out the real-life romance with Xavier! It’s gotta be better than sitting at a computer writing about it!


What is your writing process like?

I do chapter breakdowns so I know vaguely what’s going to happen in each one. I’m not a big planner; I’m usually too impatient to start writing. All I need to know is the basic outline of what’s going to happen and the story tends to write itself. I always do two edits (one big one and one touch-up) before sending a manuscript off to my publishers. They usually have a few edits as well, so the book goes through a fair bit before it hits shelves.



Halo’s cover is just breathtaking! Was this the original cover, or were there other versions during the publication process?

It definitely took us a while to get the cover right. We played with a lot of different ideas, like having an iconic cover (just a single feather) or a photograph of a girl with wings. But once we saw that design, we all fell in love with it. Xavier was originally a little bit different, but I wrote to the designer and explained how he should look and he absolutely nailed it!



What books are in your “To Read” pile right now?

Angelology by Danielle Trussoni

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris


When will Hades hit bookstores?

Early 2011. I will post the final release date on my Facebook page as soon as it’s finalized.


Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?

It’s a tough industry, but don’t be put off. I believe if you want something badly enough and you’re willing to work at it, then you’ll succeed. The important thing is to take all criticism on board and incorporate suggestions into your work so that when you pitch it to publishers, it’s the best it can be.


And one just for fun: What is your favorite word and why?

Huckleberry. It’s has pretty sound and fun to say.


Thank you for taking the time out to answer my questions, Alexandra!

I definitely recommend checking out Halo!


---------------------------------


Alexandra will be touring the US this fall! Check here to see if she stops near you!

And if you're interested, check out the first two chapters of Halo on Macmaillan's website!


Alexandra's bio courtesy of Macmillian

4 comments:

Book Junkies said...

I'm so excited for this book! I have it pre-ordered, which means I won't get it for probably another week. Great interview :)

-Ashley

Amber said...

Great review! This book is going to arriving at my house any day now from Amazon.com and I can't wait.

Liviania said...

I think a religion class would be fun. It's good that it inspired Halo!

j said...

I interviewed Alexandra today as well! I loved your questions. I really enjoyed learning her writing process. Fabulous interview! :)

Post a Comment

Series I Like

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis Divergent by Veronica Roth Firelight by Sophie Jordon Halo by Alexandra Adornetto Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Thanks to i'm loving books!

Disclaimer

I receive review copies of books from publicists, authors and publishers for an honest review. I do not receive monetary or other compensations for posting reviews.