Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

Bewitching by Alex Flinn
(HarperTeen/March 14, 2012)

Kendra Hilferty, the witch who curses Kyle Kingsbury in Beastly, tells about her immortal existence-how she discovered she was a witch and the various ways she has used her powers to help people throughout the centuries. (Unfortunately her attempts have often backfired.) As it turns out, Kendra has actually had a hand in "Hansel and Gretel," "The Princess and the Pea," and "The Little Mermaid"-but these are not the fairy tales you think you know! Kendra's reminiscences are wrapped around a real-time version of "Cinderella," except the "ugly" stepsister is the good guy. With dark twists, hilarious turns, and unexpected endings, Bewitching is a contemporary read for fairy-tale lovers, fantasy fans, and anyone looking for more Alex Flinn.

Call me a hopeless romantic and a sucker for the mushy stuff sometimes, but I'm a fan of Beastly (the novel, yes! the movie, not so much)! So of course this caught my eye on GoodReads! As far as contemporary retellings of fairytales, Alex Flinn did a pretty good job with Beastly so I'm game for more! Should be fun seeing things from Kendra's point of view and see how she might've 'influenced' some of those classic fairy tales we all know!
This blurb almost reminds me of that
well-meaning but misguided fairy from Gail Carson Levine's Ella Enchanted whose spells she bestowed as "gifts" turned out to be more of curses than anything else!

HarperTeen has a lot of great books coming out this year, don't they?

What are you waiting for this Wednesday?

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine

4 comments:

Rachel said...

:) I loved Beastly! I found alot of my favorite series or stand-alones via harperteen, Pretty little liars, evernight, beastly

My Wow
http://unforgetablebooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/waiting-on-wednesday-2.html

old follower

Jessica (Peace Love Books) said...

I loved Beastly so when I saw this was coming out, i got super excited! It looks so good! Great pick :)

Here's my WoW!

Liviania said...

I'm looking forward to Bewitching! I've loved Alex Flinn's other fairytale adaptations. (So happy they sold the ebook of Cloaked at a discount!)

Rachel said...

I am also waiting for Bewitching. I loved Beastly. actually, anything written by Alex Flinn. Kiss in time is good too.

Post a Comment

Series I Like

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis Divergent by Veronica Roth Firelight by Sophie Jordon Halo by Alexandra Adornetto Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Thanks to i'm loving books!

Disclaimer

I receive review copies of books from publicists, authors and publishers for an honest review. I do not receive monetary or other compensations for posting reviews.